Ilmington Village School
Founded in 1858, Ilmington C of E Primary School moved to its present site in 1957. Around 110 boys and girls aged from 4 to 11 years are taught in classes from Reception through to Year 6.
The school prides itself on its academic and sporting record with the varied range of subjects studied on top of the 'core' lessons and the sporting competitions entered. This resulted in the school being classed as 'Good' at the last OFSTED inspection. The staff and governors are now working on this sound foundation to lift the school to 'Outstanding' status.
Last year, through twinning arrangements with schools abroad, Ilmington won an International Award. Twinning continues in 2010 with schools in Norway and China. More locally, a twinning arrangement has been in place for three years with All Saints Primary School, Coventry where pupils visit each other on a reciprocal basis.
Later this year, the school should undergo an extension programme when two new classrooms are built at the rear of the existing block to replace two old 'huts'. The work will improve the facilities available within the school.
The school has a strong and lively Parent & Teachers Association involved in raising funds to support the school's activites. The PTA has funded computer and other equipment as well as educational excursions for the children to improve their knowledge and understanding of the world outside Ilmington.
Being part of the Ilmington village community is very important to the school and each child 'adopts a friend' drawn from the older members of the village community. The friends are invited to all the school events, May Day, Sports Day and the Christmas Play. The relationship builds during the child's period at school and contact frequently lasts well beyond the child moving on to secondary school.
For further details about the school, contact the school office on 01608 682212.